In today’s post from Mason Dental in Grapevine, we will focus on vital behaviors that influence dental health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two essential habits for healthy teeth and gums, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is necessary for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do enjoy calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are harmful to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar generates the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This accelerates plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can break teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are detrimental to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, speak with Dr. Mason about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your babies fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder – seek professional help without delay. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that supports dental health as well as overall physical health. At Mason Dental – Cosmetic & Family Dentistry in Grapevine, we provide general and cosmetic dentistry, including dental implants, porcelain veneers, and teeth whitening. Make an appointment today!