What is a Root Canal?
Every tooth in your mouth has a pulp chamber at its core. In this pulp chamber are living connective tissues where nerves travel along small passageways called canals. Sometimes, the pulp chamber becomes infected, stimulating the nerves and causing a horrible toothache. Root canal therapy is a cleaning of the tooth root canal that eliminates infected tissue, alleviates pain, and preserves the life of the tooth.
Symptoms of a Root Canal Infection
You may be in need of a root canal if you are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Severe toothache or tooth pain.
- A discolored or darkened tooth.
- Pain when biting or chewing food.
- Heightened tooth sensitivity to cold or heat.
Root canals usually come with a lot of pain, so the infection shouldn’t go unnoticed for too long. But it’s best to be vigilant for early warning signs such as discoloration.
The Benefits of Root Canal Therapy
Root canals come with a myriad of benefits, including:
- Pain alleviation: root canal therapy will remove the infection from the tooth and leave you pain-free.
- Protection from further infection: infections in a single tooth will likely spread to other teeth if left untreated. Root canal therapy stops this spreading of infection before it jeopardizes your other teeth.
- Better hygiene: root canal therapy doesn’t just eliminate infection; it also rids your tooth of other dangerous bacteria that may be lurking around.
- Long-term protection: root canal therapy saves the afflicted tooth from extraction so your natural smile lasts even longer.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of root canal infection, don’t hesitate to visit our office!
Root Canal Treatment at Mason Dental
Tooth pain or aches can be signs of more serious problems. Always play it safe and give us a call if you think you may have an infection. Our root canal therapy is simple and effective!